Tuesday 27 November 2012

L'Oreal Wild Ombre - DIY dip dye

So I've pretty much had the same hair for about 4 years now. I've been growing it for the last year or so, and now I LOVE the length. I know I should probably get it cut but I wouldn't trust any hairdresser at this point! I've always thought about getting a fringe cut in, but the last time I had one, looking back it really did no suit me. Recently I've been quite fed up and wanted a slight change. I'd seen celebrities and people doing dip dying for a while now, and I really love how it looks on brunettes, with blonde ends. I'm too scared to wack bleach on my ends (as I've been dying my hair darkish brown for a a few years now) but when I saw L'Oreal had release it's own dip dye kit I thought 'wow that's such a good idea!' and really wanted to try it. I was curious to if it would actually work on my dyed hair, but I decided to give it a go. I thought if it went wrong I could just dye over it! So I decided to go for it, at £6 a box (the same as regular hair dye) I thought why not!




The kit comes with everything you need including good instructions on how to mix and apply the product. It was really easy to mix, pretty much the same as a normal hair dye really, and comes with a handy plastic comb to comb the product into your hair to get a gradual ombre effect. One thing I have to say is that the black gloves that came with it were horrible, and felt like bin bags on my hands!


So I put it on,  I was quite nervous as to what it was actually going to do... I used the comb to brush it in at the ends, but I found brushing it actually tangled my long thick hair, so I ended up just using the gloves and kind of stroked the dye upwards to blend it into my dark hair. I use  It looks really light on here because the actual dye is white, but It didn't look as if it was doing much after 25 minutes. I left it on for the maximum time (45 minutes) because I wanted it as light as possible. I was really disappointed when I washed it out, it looked no different! Until I dried it that was..



Before/After

So this is how it came out, I was surprised to see it had lightened quite a bit! (As the second photo is instagrammed it looks more blonde, but it was very ginger in real life!) I was a bit disappointed that it hadn't gone more blonde really, but more of a light brown/copper/red/ginger type colour. Although I think this is because I have been dying my hair dark brown/reddish brown for a few years now, and it's revealed the reddy tones in the lengths of my hair. I was unsure and wanted to see it in daylight. These are a few photos from the day after:




I was actually really happy with the colour! I wasn't expecting it to go so red, but that's toned down in the last few days after I've been washing it, so it's more of a light brown. I may repeat it again in a week or so to see if I can get it lighter, or I might even try bleach to get it blonde, but for now it's a really lovely subtle ombre effect. I'm glad I did it :) It hasn't really left my hair any drier or in a worse condition then it was, although I do condition my hair regularly. 


Heres a bit of a better photo that shows it off a bit better. (I did a few modeling/outfit test shots for my friend Becky's photo shoot, I look a bit silly haha!) It definetly has lightened it a good few shades, in daylight and you can really see the ombre effect! 

Have you tried or wanted to try a dip dye style?



6 comments:

  1. I really like it! I think the reddish brown is a much more subtle and nicer look! Plus I'm all over red hues in hair :) I'm your newest follower!

    Lea x

    It's Such A Wonderful Life -
    http://shebeginstosee.blogspot.com

    Why not check out my Christmas Yankee Candle giveaway?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, its taken a couple of days to get used to but I really love it now! :) Thank you so much, followed back! :) x x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really want to dip dye my hair, but I'm not sure what colour. Any tips where to start?

    Feyi
    www.uncovertheuntold.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Feyi! I have no idea really, I went into it not knowing what it was going to If you want to lighten your hair alot you'll definetly need a lightening/bleaching kit of some kind, but always read the instructions and don't leave it on too long I guess! :) If you do get it to blonde then you could always experiment with semi permanent coloured dyes too! Hope this helps! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like the colour you've achieved!! I recentley used this kit too, quite impressed with it X

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks fab! I love the ombre hair but I'm too scared to dye it myself ha! I got these instead - dip dye hair extensions They’re available at Hairtrade.com and there's some gorgeous colours. I got the dark to blonde one and they look fab! Kate x

    ReplyDelete