Thursday 31 January 2013

White Fish Eye Lomography Camera Review

This post is slightly different for me. I thought i'd do a little review of something i've had for a good couple of years now, and love using! I bought this when I worked part time on my gap year and wanted an exciting camera to take with me to places and take some really good photos. I wanted (and still want) a polaroid, but the newer ones they make are over £100, which I don't really have to spare now i'm at uni! :(

This fish eye camera, know they sell them in urban outfitters now for about £70, although I've recently seen some in the sale for £20 (bargain, I would grab one if you can!) I actually purchased mine from here: http://uk.shop.lomography.com/cameras/fisheye-cameras/fisheye-one-white as it was much cheaper online at the time at just £45. The flash runs on AA batteries, and takes the photographs on 30mm film. The packaging it originally came in is at home, but it came in a wonderful box and instructions on how to use/load the film, and a little booklet with loads of fun fish eye photos to give you some inspiration. It pretty much looked like this one:







This little baby is a bit knocked about as i've had it for a couple of years now, and has come with me to different countries and all sorts! It comes with a rubber wrist band and lens cap, which is all attachable. This is really handy to carry it about when you're snapping, and means you never loose the cap to go over the lens! It's so lightweight, but it is a bit awkward to fit into a smaller bag. 

It's really easy to load with film, and you can put any type of 30 mm film into it (black & white/colour/lomography). The flash you can easily turn on and off with a switch at the front. I really love the little fishy detail on the top! When you take a photograph, this thing almost feels like a toy.. when I first got it I was convinced it wasn't actually taking the photo, as it just goes 'PING!' and you wind the film on. To my surprise, getting the photographs back I was amazed! It had given me clear, 180 degree photographs, that had a vintage/lomography feel to them. 

I don't use it too often as buying the film and getting them developed costs around £8 a time, but I love to use it as my own personal time capsule. I usually have the same reel of film in there for a few months and take a few snaps every now and then. When I get them developed I love looking back at photographs I'd forgotten I'd even taken, and things I'd done/seen that I'd forgotten about.

Here are some of my favourite photographs I'd had developed (all unedited!):









The camera gives the best photos in bright sunlight, and are really clear and colourful. In the dark/shade the photos come out slightly grainy, but I kind of like that film effect. I've forgotten to use it so many times and kicked myself because they've come out so dark you can hardly see a thing.

I first used this film: http://uk.shop.lomography.com/films/lomography-film/lomography-color-negative-100-pack-of-3 as I thought it would give me a more 'instagrammed' effect on some of my images. It did on most of them, but I was disappointed as some of my images came out different colours randomly, that kind of ruined it:

These ones came out really green/yellow for some reason.. I was disappointed as it kind of spoils it.

This one very pink..

and this one very orange.

I think it's meant to be the film effect, but I wasn't too happy! I could easily scan them in and edit them on photoshop, but it kind of takes away the colour of the image. From now on i'm using normal kodak colour film.

The only thing I would say is that you can't see 100% through the view finder, as the lens cuts off about half of it as it's so big! You kind of just have to point and shoot, which is all part of the fun really.

I hope you enjoyed that little review, and perhaps if your thinking about getting one it may have swayed your decision! These little cameras are great for capturing special trips and moments, and I like using something other than my digital camera and iphone!

Do you own a fish eye camera? Has it given you any great photo memories? :)



12 comments:

  1. aw i love the photos this has produced! i want one! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I really love still using film developing! You can get them cheaper if you look around! :)

      Delete
  2. I'm so jealous you have one! I have been wanting one for the longest time. By the way you have such a cute blog :)
    xoxo

    cloudychase.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're so much fun to use, would defo recommend getting one. Thank you so much! :) x

      Delete
  3. those are some lovely prints! I've got the pink version from urban outfitters, it's tucked away until summer comes back! such a good camera :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Ahh I've seen printed pattern ones too, they look so cool! Yeah they're defo better to use in the summer :) x

      Delete
  4. aaaaaah love this so much!! great pictures, I love lomography <3 love your blog too, following now :)

    faultraces.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you! so do I!! Thank you so much - Checking out your blog now! xxx

      Delete
  5. What a cool piece of camera! I don`t have one:(( Do u want to follow each other o gfc and fb? Kisses from Norway!

    ReplyDelete